Certificate geekery

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Sun Dec 3 09:22:35 UTC 2023

I'm working on devel-TODO-NTS.  (mostly deleting things)

Currently, if a bad guy hacks or arm-twists a certificate authority, they can
sign a certificate that the bad guy can use for a MITM attack.

We can make that a lot harder if we lookup the current root certificate that a
server is currently using, find that certificate in a system's root cert
collection, and add a ca xxx to the server line.  That doesn't take any
changes to ntpd.

It needs some script hacking.  I think the openssl command can handle much of
the details.

Is that called pinning?  If not, is there a term for it?
Wiki has a page for a related proposal:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_pinning

Is this interesting?

Anybody interested in writing that script?

------

There is another tangle with verifying certificates.  OCSP
Is that interesting?
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCSP