nts and ntske log files

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Mon Aug 28 22:08:45 UTC 2023

I just pushed the first cut.

No documentation yet.

Like sysstats and usestats, ntsstats and ntskestats get logged every hour.

If you look at the output from ntpq -c nts, the counters fall into two clumps,
one for NTS and one for NTS-KE.  All the counters get logged in the same order.

Should we add counters for IPv4 and IPv6?
I think I'll merge the CPU usage.  (getrusage provides separate user and
system CPU slots)

There are 3 cases for the server side of NTS-KE:
  OK: Worked
  Failed: SSL got started but something didn't work (http?)
  NoSSL: SSL didn't get started (telnet?)
I think I'll add wall/CPU counters for the no-SSL case.

Should we split things client/server rather than NTS/NTS-KE?  With the current
split, you can't get NTS packets per NTS-KE without looking in two separate
files.

What's the right type/units for wall time and CPU time?  The current code is
double and seconds.  That won't ever overflow, but some day in the far future
a very busy KE server might drop low bits.  We could solve that by using
timespec.  Should I switch to timespec now so we never have to think about
this again?  Can ntpq handle timespecs as elapsed times rather than time of
day?  ...

I'd like ntpq to display both the total and recent counters like sysstats does.

The code that does hourly logging has to remember the totals when it prints
things so it can subtract them off from the new totals next time.  It's easy
for me to return the old values but slightly inconvenient to do the subtract.
How hard is it to do the subtract in ntpq?