Release, project sleeping, and running down the clock.

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Tue Aug 22 10:29:54 UTC 2023

James Browning said:
> If the project is sleeping, then you may as
>    well cut the new release now.

I think we should do a normal release.  That includes scanning the issues and
merge requests.  And lots of testing.

I'm working on making a couple of new stats files for NTP packets using NTS
and NTS-KE.  That should enable fixing #795 (ntpviz) and provide data for
thinking about #797 (TLS server priority bit).

I think we should fix the mssntp hack or decide to rip it out.

> I would
>    appreciate it if people commented on my merge
>    requests 1331, 1333, and 1335.

1335:
    sysstats are not resetting hourly when not logged to a file
    ntp.poly.polychr() is broken on Python 2 (incorrectly reported as Python 3
on the ML)
    ./waf requires Python development headers when building no ntp.ntpc or
Python w/ FFI ntp.ntpc
    Minor text fixups in many Python files
        9 tests/libntp/*y do not have pyshebang headers
        6 test files, two wscript files, and ntp.agentx all lack SPDX licenses
declarations
        9 pylib files and 8 test files lack license attribution
        wscript files in tests and pylib lack UTF-8 coding lines

That looks like 4 unrelated things in one MR.  There is only one "approve" button.
I'm interested in the first one, but not interested enough to try to dig it out from all the other stuff.

1333:
    2403ed08 - 1 commit from branch NTPsec:master
    18336fa1 - ms-sntp: works up to trying to connect to the socket.
    5535c882 - ms-sntp: Add excessive logging.

Do we have a test setup yet?  There was a lot of discussion a few weeks ago, but I don't remember seeing a recipe for one.

Again, There is only one "approve" button and I'm not going to approve anything that says "excessive logging".

If you need more info for debugging...  There are several approaches.

1) Use the normal msyslog, but make sure it doesn't turn into a self-DoS.  You can add some rate limiting.

2) You can use the DEBUG stuff.  I've never been happy with that -- too much other printout to wade through.

3) You can add the msyslog stuff with an ifdef or if (0) that defaults to off.  You edit the file and rebuild to turn on your extra printout.  This seems to work well if you are likely to want the same printout in the future.  You change a (0) to (1) rather than typing in the whole long line again.

1331:
    ntpdig appends a new mac after each host dug
    ntpdig can try to take the trusted attribute of a byte string.
    the authenticator bits in ntp.packet do not truncate digests

I can't quite figure out what that means.  Does it print something stupid?  Crash?
How would I test it?

My head doesn't like python.  I'd be happier if somebody else tested/approved this.