Knob: certificates for NTS-KE vs web

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Mon May 2 19:36:19 UTC 2022

I think I've figured out why I think my knob is interesting.

For the web, there are zillions of clients, most non-technical.  A client is
likely to connect to many servers, often new/different ones on different days.
 It all has to just work, straight out of the box.

For NTS-KE, an at least somewhat technical admin sets things up.  A client
will only ever contact the few servers that are explicitly configured by the
admin.  The S in NTS-KE is security.  It seems reasonable to me for the admin
setting things up, or at least some of them, to be willing to spend a bit of
time making things more secure.

My knob is a tiny step in that direction.

I think we need a man/web page to cover this area.  What can an admin do to
make things more secure?

I'm far from a security wizard.  The biggest risk that I can see is the root
server collection that comes packaged with most distros.  We should be able to
write a script that figures out what cert in the root collection each server
needs.  I've poked a bit in that area, but don't have a recpie yet

---------

Note that NTS doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the time you will
get, just that you will get it (probably) from the site you expect to get it
from rather than from a bad guy doing some sort of MITM attack.