waf: --disable-attic

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Wed Feb 16 04:12:40 UTC 2022

Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com said:
> Are we worried about the speed of the build, lack of build support on
> particular platforms, or something else?

I'm not particularly concerned about the speed of a build.  As far as I know,
nobody has complained about build times or suggested not building attic to
make builds go faster.

The reason it came up is because our latest release doesn't build with OpenSSL
3.0.  The main code in ntpd builds but something in attic breaks.

The feature is simple to implement: 2 or 3 lines in each of 3 places, so it
seemed like it might be handy next time somebody runs into a problem like this.

If the default is on, we may get a heads-up that something might need
attention.  If the default is off, we don't have to answer questions when
people encounter problems in attic.  The conditions are rare enough that I
don't think it matters.

Does anybody other than me look at the stuff in attic?  Or run them?