NTPsec on Windows ??

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Mon Feb 14 09:08:04 UTC 2022

Does anybody have a POSIX c environment on Windows and/or have a friend who
does?

I'd like to know how close we are to being able to run on Windows.

I expect several low level routines may be missing.  ntp_adjtime is a good example.  I'd like too get a list.

It should be a simple as
  mkdir xxx
  cd xxx
  download using tar
    wget https://ftp.ntpsec.org/pub/releases/ntpsec-1.2.1.tar.gz
    tar -xzf ntpsec-1.2.1.tar.gz
    cd ntpsec-1.2.1
  or using git
    git clone git at gitlab.com:NTPsec/ntpsec.git
    cd ntpsec

Then:
  ./waf configure -k
  ./waf build -k

-k  tells waf to keep going rather than bail on the first fatal error.

waf needs Python (2 or 3)
We need bison
We expect OpenSSL libraries (but see below)

We need what Linux/BSD calls a python development environment.
If Windows doesn't have the equivalent, we should be able to build ntpd without it.  It's only needed by utilities like ntpq and friends.  But that will take a small amount of work to add an option to configure.

This will drop the need for libssl
  ./waf configure --disable-nts
but we still need libcrypto

There may be other optional requirements that I can't think of right now.
This may provide info:
  ./waf configure --help

The source of buildprep may be helpful

-------

Of course, I don't know anything about Windows.  So, it may be much more complicated than that.  If so, I'd like to get a high level view of what it would take to get far enough to learn what low level APIs are missing.

-------

I'd happily donate a pitcher of beer (or the local equivalent) to the project if we can arrange the logistics.