We need to test leap smearing :)

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at anastrophe.com
Fri Dec 23 07:47:17 UTC 2022

Supposedly leap seconds are going to be formally abandoned in a little
more than a decade; but that conveniently ignores the vagaries of the
earth's wobbling, which are not deterministic, so it's just a different
kind of folly by our fellow meat puppets.

On 12/22/2022 23:13 PM, James Browning via devel wrote:
>> On 12/22/2022 7:49 PM PST Hal Murray via devel<devel at ntpsec.org>  wrote:
>>

>> Fred Wright said:
>>> If you make it 24 hours, there's the question of whether that means 86400
>>> seconds or 86401. :-)
>> That ones easy. It's 86400 smeared seconds and 86401 real seconds.
>>
>> That's the whole point of smearing. :)
> Stretching 86399 seconds need not apply.
>
> Also, planning for no leap seconds is probably premature.
> Could you check back when the race of mortal men is no
> more or the sun has burned out? Maybe not even then.

Paul Theodoropoulos
anastrophe.com <https://www.anastrophe.com>