We need to test leap smearing :)

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Thu Dec 22 03:09:53 UTC 2022

On 12/21/22 17:26, Hal Murray via devel wrote:

> Does anybody use it?
> Do any distros build with it enabled?
> Should we add an "#warn untested" to the code?

I was asked to enable it in Debian, but I did not.

Note that my understanding was that "enable" meant "compile in the
support such that users could choose to enable it in the config" not
"enable it by default".

I did not enable it because NTPsec's implementation of smearing
(inherited from NTP Classic) does not match the smearing algorithm(s)
used by the big players that use smearing (e.g. Google and Facebook, IIRC).

--
Richard