devel/make-tarball broken

James Browning jamesb192 at jamesb192.com
Wed Dec 14 23:39:29 UTC 2022

> On 12/14/2022 3:05 PM PST Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
>

> Thanks for testing and fixing.
>
> I'm not familiar with that corner of tar/sed.  What does the extra S do?
> Where is that documented?
> tar --transform="s:^:ntpsec-${V}/:" ...
> tar --transform="s:^:ntpsec-${V}/:S" ...

'Do not apply transform to symbolic link targets' [1] Which I
got from googling 'gnu tar transform' IIRC. It is also a
gnuism, but I do not see a portable transform type option as
tar on macOS uses -s and some BSDs seem to lack even that.

> I added PIVOT.h last Jan 29, so this has been broken for almost a year.
>
> Is gitlab running option-tester weekly or monthly?   Can it test make-tarball
> too?

I don't think we need a bunch of runners testing devel/make-tarball,
one should be sufficient.

> Matt:
>   I have updated PIVOT.h
>   Is testing make-tarball on Mark's list?
>     (before doing the mechanics of the release)

despite not being Matt...
no, but it's called in devel/release before any repo changes
are made.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_section/transform.html