Certificate pinning

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Mon Nov 8 19:21:37 UTC 2021

https://owasp.org/www-community/controls/Certificate_and_Public_Key_Pinning

> Does pinning work with a typical cert-chain that I get from a server?  If so,
> where to I get the certificate that I'm looking for?

Most certificate chains you will encounter for public systems have at
least one intermediate.  You probably should pin both the intermediate
and the root certificate, but continue to validate both.  If you put the
trust anchor at the intermediate, any certificate validation stops there
(and if the chain has alternates they won't be checked either of
course).

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: