ntpq: user variables, anybody use them?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Mar 10 22:16:37 UTC 2021

>> The server side of ntpq supports writing and reading things of the form
>> "foo=bar". >
>> I'm slightly surprised Eric hasn't riped that out by now. >
>> Does anybody use it?  How/why?  ,,,

> No, I don't. I had this foolish notion though (or it might've been Achim) not
> long after (during?) the rainbow control debacle about prepending a modifier
> character (say @ or such) to a variable which is a list of variables and it
> would return all of the variables in that list.

The current code has some slots marked DEF (default).   I think it is only
used by ntpq sysinfo.  The implementation is "rv 0" or just "rv" with an empty
list of names that it wants to retrieve.

My plan was to add more flags.  I'm happy with your @ suggestion.

Please start collecting a list of things you would like to retrieve this way.
The 2 that I use often are the NTS statistics and the MRU statistics: ntsinfo
and monstats.