Objectives for the next year

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Sun Jun 20 22:42:21 UTC 2021

Richard Laager said:
> With the caveat that there is a LOT I don't know in this space, if it  was my
> call, I'd aim for an incremental conversion of ntpd to Rust and  leave the
> userspace tooling in Python. After the daemon is converted, I  would
> re-evaluate whether the userspace tooling should be converted.

Thanks.

I have troubles with Python, so I think we should consider reworking the
userspace too.

I can use Python for small hacks.  I get in trouble with large projects.  I
think the problem is that my brain is addicted to type checking and I can't
keep track of the type of arguments/results.

Friends who are smarter than I am report similar problems.  They first told me
about it many years ago before I had enough experience with large Python
projects to appreciate what they were saying.  Their summary was: It's hard to

There are 2 parts to a great ntpd cleanup.  One is switching to
Go/Rust/whatever.  The other is restructuring the code to use threads.  An
incremental conversion to Rust/Go doesn't help the restructure.  Maybe we
should start over from scratch.