Objectives for the next year

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Jun 20 07:31:29 UTC 2021

Eric S. Raymond via devel writes:
> My choice for a language to move to would be Go. Possibly one of you
> can argue for a different choice, though if you agree that Go is a
> suitable target I would find that information interesting.

Since the last round of discussion both sides of the argument have been
moving.  If you believe that Rust will become a first-class
implementation language for the Linux kernel, that would tip the scales
in favor of rust considerably in my view.  Most importantly that seems
to ensure long-term support for one of the main target platforms for
ntpsec.  Both language eco-systems have drank a bit too much from the
DevOps cool-aid (no, I don't trust any of your code registries or I
could have installed an ntpd in Rust or Go already) and ntpsec would be
well advised to figure out how to deal with the inevitable dependencies
before it starts.

I'd argue that Go would be a mistake for the daemon component and most
of the library even without that consideration (Rust has deterministic
runtime behaviour, Go does not -- by design).  The user facing code I
could easily see moving to Go, but these are already rewritten in
Python, so why bother with yet another language?  I still think that
these discussions are somewhat premature since the ntpd of today is this
monolithic thing that forges together a bunch of rather disparate
things.  But changing both the software architecture and the
implementation language at the same time is always iffy, so one would
have to think really hard about what to do first.

Regards,
Achim.