ntpleapfetch regression.

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 21:08:04 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021, at 12:14 PM Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Mike Simpson said:
> > Also, we are still trying to use /var/NTP for I believe NTS related logging.
> > Can this be moved to /var/log/something as SELinux really doesn’t like it.
> > nts or ntp/nts?
>
> /var/NTP/ is the default directory for all of ntpd's log files.  You can
> override it in your config file.
>
> Changing it is likely to break places that use it.  It would be nice if we
> could fix something rather than just making an arbitrary change.

Got the impression it is somewhat broken now and I think changing my
way would make it less so. OTOH everyone is used to having to override
it.

> Does POSIX or something say we should use /var/log/?  Similarly, does it say
> anything about where we should store the drift file? (and nts-keys)

the file-hierarchy(7) and hier(7) man pages suggest the configuration
files go in not under /etc as I do not consider NTPsec a larger
package. variable state information for programs goes in or under
/var/lib and log files go in /var/log. I should probably take off my
colored glasses though.

Both of those files are Linux-centric on the system where I read them.
I could not find anything POSIX-related and the other source I saw
basically said check AT&T UNIX.

Since you you seem to be against this I will drop it now.