visiting the todo list

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 15:00:00 UTC 2021

IIRC gpsd has a read-only monitor program. I'm not sure how much of
the code could be applied to revise ntpd/refclock_shm.c, but I think
that quite a bit of it could. Which with it hopefully being read-only
addresses a couple of bullet points. I also seem to remember that some
PTP software can export via the same SHM struct which would drag in a
third.

I had a foolish notion for a revised SHM driver but it just dropped
off the list.

I am reasonably sure that the pool association code needs to be
revisited later. I seem to recall it over replaces a dropped server
and then culls.  Maybe a mechanism to limit the number of ephemeral
remote cocks per source.

Replacing IPv4 and IPv6 only sockets could probably work unless it hit
a hypothetical misrouted multihomed server. Then it would not know
where to send packets from a bit like my 'twinsock' reduction.

snprintb looks incredibly useful, I agree, it should get used more,
quite possibly even with the proposed ntpshark helper the bulk of
which I think should part of pylib and accessible to ntpq and ntpdig.

I'm sure that file capabilities would help reduce the need for initial
root and drop root as mentioned. I proposed to break ntpd into
separate processes (rant redacted).

Replacing the once per second timer would be nice for power saving.
How about an unbalanced binary tree for event tracking. I think it'd
be O(n) memory and O(log n) to O(n) insert/lookup/delete times. I'd
also suggest removing the uptime counter in favor of a monotonic start
time variable.

I probably messed up the chance of adding reconfiguration needed
detection and possibly the version string cleanup. Also, the
implementation now does not like (semi-)shallow git clones.

Are the changes to the documentation and the conformant SNMP subagent done?