ntpq version troubles

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 15:00:00 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 4:15 PM Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> When I start ntpq, I get this message:
> ntp.ntpc wrong version '1.2.1+17-gbc270426b-dirty 2021-07-09/11:45:21' !=
> '1.2.1'

It's probably a result of me trying to be clever. IIRC it's comparing
the version of the ntp python module (left) with the version of the
FFI stub (right). Neither the source nor the build system seems to
have changed in the interval. It's looking at the libntpc.so from a
tarball built
 package and the python module built from git.

> It works OK.
>
> That's built with
>     --build-desc=xxx on the configure line to waf
>     on a system using git with some local edits.
>
> It works with the same command line on a system without git.
>
> ./waf check is happy.
>   running: main/ntpclients/ntpq --version  OK
> It works when run by hand out of $build.
>   $ ./hgm/main/ntpclients/ntpq --version
>   ntpq ntpsec-1.2.1+17-gbc270426b-dirty 2021-07-09/11:45:21
>   $
>
> Is this a problem with my setup?  Maybe getting the wrong library?
> Or a bug in the version check and/or install code?

Not a problem for you/your installs specifically. Getting the packaged
library which should be the same save for the version string.
Certainly an issue with the version check code. Should only be
happening for developers.