Using Go for NTPsec

Sanjeev Gupta ghane0 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 03:52:10 UTC 2021

Hal, on the Rust v Go issue.  I am speaking as a consumer of your code, who
builds from source.

There is talk on the LKML, about adding Rust as an allowed language.  There
seems to be no objection in principle, work is proceeding.  Much of my
knowledge of Rust is from those threads,

The issue I have is that each time you add code, or James refactors to fix
bugs, there might be an implicit, untracked, bump in the rustc version
required.  Although Fedora may be able to keep up, debian-backports, or
anything but the latest Ubuntu, and certainly Solaris, would remain stuck
at earlier ntpsec versions, because the toolchain is not available or
upgradable.

I know the vast majority (99%?) of all ntpsec install come from distros, so
it is not like the pain will be widely felt, but it *would* be felt.

What do our RPM and DEB packagers think?  Which language/environment could
you tolerate?

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane