Using Go for NTPsec

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Sun Jul 4 16:30:07 UTC 2021

Dan said:
> The time critical code can tolerate some level of delay (~hundreds of
> microseconds), as things like packet tx can be delayed for a multitude   of
> kernel and hardware reasons.  The good news is both of the time   critical
> code paths are somewhat predictable and if we can manually   schedule GC, we
> can avoid scheduling it during those times.

Hundreds of microseconds is probably not a big deal if the packet is going out
over the big bad internet.  But on a lightly loaded LAN, the total round trip
time can in that range.

I don't think manually scheduling GC is a viable approach.  It would work with
the current single threaded code.  I think we should be switching to a
threaded architecture.

Again, I think the main cost of using a GC will be having to think about it.