Fwd: discrete units

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jan 21 08:55:04 UTC 2021

James Browning said:
> Create the log with a date suffix and link ntp.log to it or something?
> There's code for that there I think...

The code for loopstats and similar works that way.  ntpd.log doesn't.

If you don't have a CMOS clock (or it is wrong, for example because the
battery is dead) that writes  to a file with the date in the name when the
date is wrong.

There are two problems with that.  First it trashes an old file which gets ugly.  If you are using rsync to archive log files, it will recreate old deleted files, discarding the real data.  It also makes it hard to find the actual logged data.