discrete units

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 01:48:28 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021, at 5:03 PM Gary E. Miller via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 16:58:11 -0800
> Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
>
> > James said:
> > > I think NTPsec should be completely rewritten as discrete units.
> >
> > What does that mean?
>
> I think he is referring to reecent proposals to split ntpd up into
> multiple daemons.  Daemons for the core, NTS, clients, etc.  Each doing
> a small job.  Rather than the one big daemon we have now.
>
> Sorta like sendmail to postfix.

The permissions required by NTPsec are a mess partly because
it is not a do one thing well daemon. Instead, you have the
Lernean Hydra, which has too many heads and gaining more. I
was writing a long blob on how doing too many things was
bloating the list of required permissions, but I decided t
scrap it. Also, a rewrite would allow and encourage skipping
the problematic parts of singlesock, events, and goprep.

> > I'd be happy to split the big header files, ntp.h and ntpd.h, into
> > chunks corresponding to a more modular structure.
>
> It made sense when using floppy disks to make .h files small.  BUt
> now I find it much easier to have large files.  So I dont have to
> keep jumping from file to file.

Then why not splat it into a 29ish K bison file and a dozen C
files totaling 258ish K. I can't properly wrap my mind around
large amounts of code.