Interface iteration

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jan 13 12:21:21 UTC 2021

While looking for old mail tangled with #690, I stumbled into this, from Eric.
 Did we ever do anything with this?  This seems like a wonderful opportunity.

The catch may be that ntpd needs to know which interface a packet arrived on,
actually the destination IP address.

You missed some interesting discussion on IRC last night (for after
release).  While working on the CVEs Daniel has spotted that all the
iteration-over-interfaces stuff (which is 75% of ntp_io.c and almost
all of what's left of the ISC library) is unnecessary if we trust
IPv4/IPv6 wildcard addresses to work (which are POSIX).

This is kind of a big deal not just because of the LOC reduction but
because it would let us sever a major and several minor platform
dependencies - not just getifaddrs but the routing-sockets stuff as
well.