We need to capture data on corner cases

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Feb 8 02:45:39 UTC 2021

Mark Atwood said:
> It may be that people don't read comments, but even more true that they don't
> read "another file".  Comments have a prayer of being seen.

I think it depends on the nature of the comment.

Comments that refer to a bug/issue number don't add much clutter.  I use them
as a marker indicating that something interesting/tricky has happened in this
area in the past and I should understand what that was about before making
changes here.

I was trying to propose something similar to a bug/issue comment in hopes that
we could prevent the bugs from appearing when somebody was working in that
area.

A sentence or paragraph is clutter after you understand what it is telling
you.  I generally think they are worthwhile either as a reminder when I come
back to the code or as a guide to somebody seeing the code for the first time.