MR 1208

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Feb 6 00:04:29 UTC 2021

> What were you looking for in the branch?

The code that would get the correct source address on server replies.

I don't even know if it is possible.  The current  code turns on the right
option and then gets the source address when it reads a packet using recvmsg()
or recvfrom().

Is there a similar option to get the dest address?  Is there an option on send
to specify the source address?

How much will that slow things down?  Would we be willing to add the extra
sockets to get that much of a speedup?  How ugly will that code be compared to
the extra sockets?

Can we rewrite the isc code that does all the work of keeping track of
interfaces so that it is simpleer/smaller?

> I tested it using ntpdig on a couple of machines running Kubuntu 20.04 and
> one w/ macOS High Sierra. Nothing complicated though, I can't be bothered to
> think of and set up cases.

If you aren't willing to test your changes on interesting cases, then please don't work on this area.  Yes, the current code is ugly, but there is a reason for that.