What I have been doing 2021 post-January

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 03:12:47 UTC 2021

I submitted a couple of patches to gpsd and one to microjson resolving
issues. One where an empty string validated correctly as an object was
already posted to microjson. The other allowed pretty much any string the
same length or shorter to pass a t_check.

Three of my merge requests made it into the tree. The first resolved a
couple of issues with readvar in ntpq. The second addressed some nits with
the docs and the third resolved ntpdig handling address resolving errors
poorly in Python3.

I have also five yet unmerged requests submitted.

1203. I rewrote the part of the peers output generation and will add a new
mode with the refid, tally code, and peer name/address on the right side of
the graph.

1204. I partially address Hals mode 6 wishlist by adding new protocol
fields for the entirety of the current processes running. Also, I added a
new duration helper and dual column stats output.

The following are the new requests.

1207. I changed the name of the is_vn_mode_acceptable function while
dropping NTPv1 support and requiring at least 12 octets (not 1). The tree
version of the function checked for specific modes which draft as published
NTPv1 did not have.

1208. I stripped out all handling of the netlink socket and fixed around
the breaks I found. This would reduce NTPsec w/ NTS and IPv4/6 to 5
sockets. They are UDP4, UPD6, TCP4, TCP6, and netlink which only spuriously
trigger DNS retries.

I also have a branch[1] that also sweeps away the asynchronous update
updaters and the netlink socket. It is not part of 1208.

1213. I tackled another bit of untamed in ntp_control. I took three
*_varlist blocks and reshaped them into a trio of wrapper calls which call
another new function. I reworked many ctl_put* functions to use a
higher-level function call saving a few lines each. Also, new macros were
added and used saving a few lines per invocation.

I intend to merge 1207 and 1213 Tuesday. Also 1207 and 1213 the following
Saturday.

Are there any obvious (or not so) reasons why I should not go ahead?

[1] https://gitlab.com/jamesb_fe80/ntpsec/-/tree/21A31-twinsock