static IP setup in stratum-1 HOWTO

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 00:43:37 UTC 2020

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020, at 5:12 PM Gary E. Miller via devel
<devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Yo Wis!
>
> On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 15:47:19 -0700
> Wis Macomson via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
>
> > For setting a static IP, the "Stratum-1-Microserver HOWTO" punts to
> > the reference "[EAT-STATIC] Tutorial - How to give your Raspberry Pi
> > a Static IP Address"
>
> It all depends on what OS you are using.  I use Gentoo on Raspberry Pi.
> Gentoo uses /etc/conf/net

Give that that blog post was 'updated' in 2014 I think both bit rotted.[1]
The updated Debian handbook is at [2].

> > this file contains, for the stock, current Raspberry PI OS (uname -a:
> > "Linux raspberrypi 5.4.51-v7l+ #1333 SMP Mon Aug 10 16:51:40 BST 2020
> > armv7l GNU/Linux"):
>
> Sorry, I don't use that distro.  Maybe a Debian person cal help.

I am not a Debian person, but I imagine most of them would start
suggesting you revert the changes and following the handbook.

[1] https://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi-tutorials/how-to-give-your-raspberry-pi-a-static-ip-address-update
[2] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/sect.network-config