FFI module architecture decision was 'Python support policy'

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Sep 8 17:35:06 UTC 2020

Yo Richard!

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 19:23:40 -0500
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 9/7/20 11:03 AM, James Browning via devel wrote:
> > I (re)developed a Python wrapper around a C FFI stub[1]. It is
> > largely based around my merge request !1010 [2].
> I'll repeat from here, in case people want to respond to those points:
> https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/-/merge_requests/1010#note_282670775
>
> ----
> Is converting the existing "manual" extension to use ctypes
> desirable?

Yup.  With FFI, the python module becomes "Pure Pythpn".  That is all
Python, and no binaries.  The same code runs on all arches, and with
a bit of care, on all Python versions.

Since it works on all python versions, no need to build NTPsec for every
target arch/version.  That means just one pip package supports the
world.  It also means you can install the ntpd pylib in one place, add
that to your PYTHONPATH, and all version of Python will work with it.

In my use it is a coin flip.  But a lot of the world wants to just use
pip and this makes pip much easier.