Python support policy

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat Sep 5 22:39:13 UTC 2020

Yo Richard!

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 17:02:57 -0500
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 9/5/20 2:19 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > And yet, Gentoo, and others still ship 2.7.  And end users still
> > use it.
>
> This is not a discussion about whether Gentoo should drop Python 2.7.
> It's not a discussion about whether users should stop using Python 2
> entirely.

And yet, the straw man lives, and you keep bringing it.

It would be nice if you answered my objections instead of simply
restating yours.

> NTPsec currently supports: Python 2 >= 2.6 or Python 3 >= 3.3

Yup.  And let us keep it that way.

>   The bigger problem is that the installed scripts have a hardcoded
>   shebang of `/usr/bin/env python` so none of them work.

And you have a pending WIP MR to fix that.  Please continue working on
it because it is broken.  As I documented in the MR.

> That can be
>   addressed by subst'ing the shebangs as in !1166:
>   https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/-/merge_requests/1166

Except that breaks Gentoo and a lot of other systems.  Please fix.