Python support policy

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Sep 2 17:47:38 UTC 2020

Yo Eric!

On Wed,  2 Sep 2020 08:07:53 -0400 (EDT)
"Eric S. Raymond via devel" <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Retaining support for Python 2 proliferates test paths and
> complicates the fix for at least one outstanding bug.

Python 2 will be with us for years more.  Any time gpsd changes
in a way that breaks Python 2 it is reported in a day.

> Proposed: We should drop support for Python 2 and use a python3
> shebang in all our scripts.

And which "python3 shebang" would you suggest?  Last gpsd release
uncovered that still no distros agree on that. gpsd gave up and made the
python shebang a build option.