Python support policy

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Sep 2 12:07:53 UTC 2020

Python 2 was end-of-lifed at the beginning of January this year.
All our primary target platforms fully support Python 3.

Retaining support for Python 2 proliferates test paths and
complicates the fix for at least one outstanding bug.

Philosophically, I'm a fan of dropping legacy support
when it advances our security mission by decreasing
attack surface and improving auditability/maintainability.

Proposed: We should drop support for Python 2 and use a python3
shebang in all our scripts.

Discuss.

"Say what you like about my bloody murderous government," I says,
"but don't insult me poor bleedin' country."	-- Edward Abbey