ntpq broken on new Debian box

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Wed Oct 14 17:32:33 UTC 2020

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020, Hal Murray via devel wrote:

> I'm setting up a new Debian system.  I'm far from a Debian wizard, but I'm not
> a total newbie either.
>
> I have a ntp.pth setup, so ntpq finds the python libraries.
[...]
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/ntp/ntpc.py", line 49, in _dlo
>    raise OSError("Can't find %s library" % LIB)
> OSError: Can't find ntpc library
>
> I think that's trying to tell me that it can't find libntpc.so
>
> It's in /usr/local/lib/ntp/, where install put it.

Which is not the place where the Python code looks for it, other than via
"dynamic linker magic".

On Debian, rerunning ldconfig fixed it here.  On the Mac, it's completely
broken; I had to switch back to the 'ext' version in MacPorts.

There seems to be a left-hand/right-hand problem between the build script
and the Python code.

Plus, the Python code figuring out what the library is called at runtime
is a DRY violation on steroids.

Fred Wright