Copyright years in source code

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri May 8 19:42:59 UTC 2020

Yo Richard!

On Fri, 8 May 2020 14:34:31 -0500
Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:

> On 5/8/20 1:10 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > I think the year of first publication still has some use as it
> > disambiguates which version of copyright law applies.
>
> The "year of first publication" applies per copyrightable thing, so if
> the file has multiple changes, you'd need multiple years.

Changes do not affect first pub date.  First pub date is controlling.

Since copyright now persists past several human lifetimes (thanks
Mickey!) even if it did affect anything, the change is in the noise.

> Essentially all computer code is in the modern era of copyright.

Essentially yes, but not all of my computer code falls in the modern
era of copyright.

Regardless, I'm following the lead of what big corporations paid
fancy lawyers to agree on.

But mostly a distraction, what really matters is the SPD-X and I think
we all agree on that.