NTS dropping TLS 1.2

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Mar 23 18:27:40 UTC 2020

On 3/23/20 5:43 AM, Eric S. Raymond via devel wrote:
> Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>:
>> We can do several things:
>>   1) clean out the ifdefs that make things work with older versions of OpenSSL.
>>     That is drop support for systems that haven't upgraded their OpenSSL to a
>> supported version.
>>   2) leave things alone, ignore the RFC.
>>     Or maybe add some nasty warning messages
>>     How long?
>>   3) make a configure option to disable NTS so that NTPsec builds on older
>> OSes but doesn't support NTS.
>>
>> I propose option 1.  Simple and clean.  I don't think we will drop many
>> systems.
>
> I concur.

+1. In the Debian package, I was recommending a minimum of TLS 1.3
anyway, since NTS was by definition greenfield (and CloudFlare was doing
the same thing).

The export string change is annoying, but that's a risk we all take when
running a draft protocol. I guess we'll just eat that in a flag day. It
would be nice if that would be the same flag day for switching to the
IANA-allocated port (whenever that happens, assuming it isn't 123/tcp),
but we probably won't be that lucky.

--
Richard