Fuzz, Numbers

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jan 2 10:03:14 UTC 2020

hmurray at megapathdsl.net said:
> The MRU hash table was limited to 16 bits.  I have no idea why.  It's
> probably  leftover from when even big machines didn't have much memory.  I'm
> about to go  fix that.  Should be simple, but I've said that before

I just pushed a cleanup of that area.  CPU usage should be close to flat as
the table grows.

In hindsight, things were screwed up worse than I expected.  I'd noticed a
limit of 16 bits for the hash table, but the setup routine was getting called
before reading the config file so it allocated the hash table using the
default parameters.  That turned out to be 8K slots which ends up with
hundreds of entries chained off each slot.

-------

Is anybody other than me and Mike interested in large MRU lists?