seccomp tangle

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Feb 23 11:29:37 UTC 2020

Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> Should we drop secomp?  It's a pain to maintain.

We're a security-focused prodict.  I don't think it would be good optics
to drop a layer of defense just because it's a pain to maintain.

> How many people use it?  Richard: do you turn it on for the Debian builds?

I have no idea hpw many people use it.

> How does seccomp compare to a jail?  Why don't we have a good web page on how
> to setup and use a jail?  Does systemd have a jail option?  Does anybody run
> in a jail?  ...

We don't have a good page on jails because I'm not experienced at setting them up
and mostly other people don't imotiate documenting things.

> Testing the version of the seccomp header file is probably cleaner than
> testing for Arch.

Agreed.