Fw: [Ntp] New security and protocol enhancements for NTP

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 23:44:22 UTC 2020

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 10:29 AM Gary E. Miller via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>
wrote:

> Yo All!
>
> David L. Mills has a new proposal: NTP Lite.
>
> See below.

:::snip:::

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 13:21:16 -0500
> From: "David L. Mills" <Mills at Udel.edu>
> To: NTP WG <ntp at ietf.org>
> Subject: [Ntp] New security and protocol enhancements for NTP
>

> Folks,
>
> A while back, I tossed a memo over the fence for review and discussion
> in the NTP working group. The intent was not to prolong the NTS
> discussion, but to concentrate on implementation and testing of new
> protocols and algorithms.
>
> A new and expanded version of the memo is now available. I have
> included an abstract in this message along with three cosmic laws to
> consider. The memo can be found at
>
> https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/Autokey3.txt
>
> Ordinarily, the memo would best be revealed as an internet draft on the
> way to an informational RFC. Your review and suggestions in this
> adventure would be delightful. The intent is not to compete with
> current proposals for exotic new features, but to suggest productive
> embellishments that improve the design and performance.
>
> My apologies for occasional spelling and grammar errors in the
> document; I have become blind and must rely on a screen reader, which
> is awkward at best.

:::snip:::

I worked on a touched-up HTML/js version [1]. After that, I tinkered around
and built up a spec which is probably worse [2].

The apparent redefinition and math mistake threw me more than the
formatting and grammar nits. Feedback on the latter would be nice.

[1] http://www.jamesb192.com/autokey3.html
[2] http://www.jamesb192.com/nado.html