✘Python 2.7 broken

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Dec 13 05:33:54 UTC 2020

> I thought I wanted to use the module in DESTDIR. To find install issues
> before the ground drops out under me. Given that you know better, I will not
> interfere with your rewrite.

I think you want to use DESTDIR if you are testing things after installing
them.

There is a layer of testing that we can't do in a normal environment.  The
problem is that the previously installed libraries provide backup that we
don't want.  This is a variant on the problem of using the wrong libraries
when testing pre-install.

We could fix that by adding a version check when loading libraries.  That
version would have to include the time stamp rather than just a version number.

We could also try uninstalling the old stuff, but then we would have to debug
and maintain that.

Gary said:
> Right.  Which is why DESTDIR is wrong.  You want to be using the built files
> before installing in DESTDIR.

You want to test before install.  It would also be good to test post install,
but that gets complicated if you have installed into DESTDIR rather than the
normal working place.

I think the gitlab tests run in an environment without anything pre-installed.
 Does that do any post-install testing?