Has anybody used PTP time stamp hardware with NTP?

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 16:07:26 UTC 2020

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020, at 12:50 AM Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>
wrote:

> That should lead to better (earlier) time stamps.  It will bypass the
> interrupt response time and the coalesce delays.
>
> As I understand it, the catch is that the clock out near the network is
> not
> directly connected to the CPU clock so the time stamps from the hardware
> need
> to be translated to system time.
>
> I'm looking for a HOWTO type recipe for setting things up.

I found a question [1] that is tangential and led me to a
piece of documentation [2] and a PTP(ish) code sample [3]
that looks to be closer. It also looks like it might be
used in the ntpd/ntp_packetstamp.c code.

I didn't look very hard though.

[1]
https://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/23369/how-to-check-if-a-nic-supports-hardware-timestamps
[2] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/timestamping.txt