Should we check permissions on files that should be secret?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Aug 26 00:29:32 UTC 2020

There are 3 files I can think of.  Did I miss any?
  The keys file for shared key authentication.
  The NTS private key for the server certificate
  The NTS key file for making/decoding cookies

We need to be able to write the cookie file.  The others can be (should be?)
read only.

Things may be slightly complicated with switching to user ntp.

--------

There is a related tangle.  We want to switch to the log file as early as
possible, probably before switching to user ntp.  I think logrotate and
friends copy the owner and mode.  After a fresh install, the log file gets
created by user root but ntpd won't be able to open the new file on a SIGHUP.
Once you manually set the owner to ntp, things are good.  Should we set the
owner to ntp (if needed) before switching to ntp?