'ntpq -c ":config"' does not work (it probably never did)

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 15:46:26 UTC 2019

While working on a script[1], I stumbled across this issue. the cmd.Cmd
class does not call its precmd function from its onecmd function in
either Python 2.7 or 3.6. I see several possible paths forward.

1. Ignore the issue and hope it goes away.
2. Report it upstream.
3. Change over to hot_config option exclusively.
4. Add a wrapper to onecmd that fixes things.
5. More extensive fixes to cmd.Cmd.
6. Change to a new command-line interpreter.
7. Another path I am not even considering.

I would advocate for the wrapper or changing to hot_config as the least
not good options at this time. Ignoring it stacks up technical debt for
later. Upstream would probably say it works as intended. Changing to a
new interpreter would throw away all the good work on this one. More
extensive work is possible but probably beyond my capabilities.

bikeshed moment: What does everyone think?

[1] https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/snippets/1893083