OpenSSL quirk

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Oct 28 20:26:35 UTC 2019

kurt at roeckx.be said:
> TLS 1.2 got added in 1.0.1, which was released in 2012. I'm guessing there
> are some old redhat versions that are still supported running something
> older, like 0.9.8.

Thanks.

I think I've figured out what was going on.  I was testing with self-signed
certificates and trying to save some time by using noval rather than setting
up the corresponding root certificate.  I think the problem is that noval
doesn't work with old versions of OpenSSL.

The recipe for checking the certficate has changed over the years.  With
modern versions of OpenSSL, I have to run a few lines of code.  With older
versions, it happened automagically.  I haven't tracked down the details as to
when noval works or doesn't work with the current NTS code and/or if I can
make it work with older versions.