[OT] Splitting PPS?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sun Nov 24 02:15:00 UTC 2019

Yo Richard!

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 02:09:37 -0600
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 11/13/19 1:43 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > A simple u-blox
> > NEO-M8N for $10 will do.  Then $5 for a TTL to RS-232 converter.
> >
> > Get one of these NEO-M8N for $7:
> >
> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-NEO-M8N-GPS-BDS-Dual-mode-Module-Flight-Control-Satellite-ATGM336H/182622902135
> >

> These aren't actually NEO-M8N. Are you saying that these ATGM336H-5N
> are good enough?

I looked too quickly.  I failed to notice the "replacement" in the
URL.  I hate it when I search for a specific model and something else is
shown.  I was focusing on ensuring PPS was available.

Even worse are all the u-blox counterfits.  Gotta be careful in the
innertubes.

The ATGM336H is not a good as a u-blox NEO-M8N, but not a lot worse.
ntpviz will show a small difference, but that small difference is
lost when you send NTP over ethernet.

Here is a nice NEO-M8N with SMA antenna connect and PPS for $15:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEO-M8N-GPS-Beidou-GLONASS-Three-Mode-Satellite-Positioning-Module-with-SMA-Head/293210835972