frequency tolerance: 500

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Mar 31 13:31:27 UTC 2019

Udo van den Heuvel via devel writes:
>> Again no direct experience, but TSC should be stable these days unless
>> something is very much wrong with the drivers.  ALso, I've seen reports
>> that Ryzen TSC is unstable when certain overclocking options are
>> activated.
>
> I am not overclocking this CPU.

The TSC on Ryzen works with the nominal frequency.  On certain systems
that frequency is modulated, but the kernel doesn't know that until it's
controlling those changes.  So, while this can be used for overclocking,
you can still suffer from this even when you don't overclock (or think
you don't do it, but the BIOS decides it's going to switch on the
"performance" preset anyway).

> Why would tsc be better?

Already answered in my other mail.

>> Check what clocksources are available, there
>> might actually multiple TSC to chose from.
>
> # cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource
> tsc hpet acpi_pm

OK, so only one TSC.  Try one of the Linux kernel mailing lists to see
if there's something known about this.

Regards,
Achim.