Cert pinning

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Mar 28 23:50:16 UTC 2019

Yo Richard!

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 18:43:15 -0500
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> You've mentioned DANE a couple of times. I've been mostly ignoring
> that, as I was discussing manually pinning in ntp.conf.

Bad idea.  We are both discussing manual pinning in ntp.conf

> Do we want to support DANE? If so, instead of or in addition to manual
> pinning in ntp.conf?

Nope.  At least not for a long time.

I bring up DANE because it is very well documented. we;ll understood,
and well deployed.  Even ntpsec.org uses it.  The DANE people thought
of all the different ways you might want to do the hash and what gets
hashed.

That hash, with its options of hash type and what is hashed, can go in
DNS, or just in the ntp.conf file.  So 90% of the RFC can be the
template for what goes in ntp.conf.

Oh, just to make this fraudulent cert thing real, I'll remind
everyone of when someone got a valid *.google.com cert:

https://www.esecurityplanet.com/browser-security/fraudulent-ssl-cert-for-google-revoked.html

A simple google will bring up many other serious events.