Installing ntpd.service

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Fri Mar 22 06:10:57 UTC 2019

On 3/20/19 2:17 PM, Daniel Franke via devel wrote:
> Everything about init scripts should be assumed distro-specific and
> 'make install' should not be attempting to touch them. Leave that up
> to distro packagers.

Depending on how tightly one defines "init script", this isn't an init
script, it's a systemd unit. There aren't nearly the differences between
distros in systemd units as there are in classic sysvinit init scripts.
AFAIK, this isn't an accident but one of the goals of systemd.

Can you point out a practical difference between the systemd unit needed
for _a source install_ for one Linux distro vs another, excluding things
like the path which is already handled by waf subst?

I specify source install because that's what we're discussing here. If a
distro package modifies something about NTPsec or wants special
behavior, they may need to modify the systemd unit. We do this in
Debian, for example. But the stock unit should be perfectly fine if
you're doing a source install.

--
Richard