NTS update

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Mar 20 18:41:26 UTC 2019

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 03:45:21 -0700
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Is anybody else testing things?

I' waiting for Gentoo to have the required openssl version.

> I just fixed the cookie-key timer so that it actually rotates
> cookies.  You need to delete your current cookie file
> at /var/lib/ntp/nts-keys

Cool.

> The timer is set to an hour rather than a day.

Good.

>  So if your clients
> poll interval gets up to 1024, it will use some old cookies and after
> another hour the cookies will be too old and eventually run out and
> trigger the retry logic to run NTS-KE again.

Hmm....

What I am worried bout is inrush to the NTS-KE server.

Take the case of a NIST chimer doing 200k time requests a second.

If each of those clients is chiming every 64 seconds, that is 12,800 clients.

When that master key expires, then the NTS-KE will get 12,800 new cookie
requests in 64 seconds.  Ouch.  Gotta figure out how to spread that out a bit.