Installing ntpd.service

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Mar 20 05:07:26 UTC 2019

Is that the right thing to do?  Most of our stuff gets installed in
/usr/local/ and similar where it doesn't overwrite any system files.
ntpd.service is the only exception I know of.

-------

If we are going to install it, can we bypass the install if the currently
installed file is identical to the to-be-installed version?  Otherwise, I get
crap like this when I restart ntpd.

    Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of
ntpd.service
    changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.

I haven't tracked down any details.  It seems as though on systems, it does
the restart when it gives me that message and on others it doesn't.