NTS: config and initialization

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat Mar 9 03:20:59 UTC 2019

Yo Hal!

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 19:03:06 -0800
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> > Here's a proposal off the top of my head:
> > 1) server private key = SYSCONFDIR/ntp/nts.key
> > 2) server certificate = SYSCONFDIR/ntp/nts.crt
> > 3) cookie key file    = LOCALSTATEDIR/lib/ntpkeys
>
> We would have to add things  like SYSCONFDIR to config.h.

Yup.  waf already has support for it:

https://waf.io/apidocs/tools/gnu_dirs.html?highlight=sysconfdir

Sadly, they follow the GNU, not FHS, standard.  We could live with
that...

> The certificate and private key should probably have a pem suffix
> and/or maybe I need to add code to support other formats.

Some info here:

https://serverfault.com/questions/9708/what-is-a-pem-file-and-how-does-it-differ-from-other-openssl-generated-key-file

Easy to convert to/from other formats, but .pem seems to be the big one.

I could live with just .pem.

A .key is just a .pem which has just a key.

.p12 looks interesting, but I've never seen it in practice.