NTS: config and initialization

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Fri Mar 8 20:50:38 UTC 2019

On 3/8/19 1:42 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> Is /etc/ssl/certs somewhat standard?  at least for the root certs?

Somewhat, but I don't know to what extent the contents of it are standard.

Here's a proposal off the top of my head:
1) server private key = SYSCONFDIR/ntp/nts.key
2) server certificate = SYSCONFDIR/ntp/nts.crt
3) cookie key file    = LOCALSTATEDIR/lib/ntpkeys

Where SYSCONFDIR would be /etc and LOCALSTATEDIR would be /var in a
distro-package on Linux.

LOCALSTATEDIR normally defaults (in GNU [0]) to PREFIX/var and thus
/usr/local/var. If you want to default it to /var/local for better FHS
compliance, that would work too.

[0] https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html

--
Richard