Tangle - cookie keys file

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Mar 8 05:21:01 UTC 2019

Gary said.
> I think it should be master key "K" and index "I" pairs.  Only.

The K includes the length.  There are actually 3 algorithms that can be used
on the wire or to make cookies.  The wire has a slot for which algorithm to
use.  The internal API is to pass the same routine different key lengths.

> Then you need a date/time with K/I pairs.

You need that even if you aren't in ratchet mode.  Consider a system that gets
rebooted.  How does ntpd know if it should switch to a new K now or in 24
hours?

> I don't think any cookie should ever touch the file system.

Ahhh...

There is actually a paragraph in the draft that suggests saving a cookie on
disk so you can get restarted without having to do the KE dance.  I think it's
marked SHOULD.  There aren't any helpful comments about how to figure out when
to save a new cookie.

That's on the back burner for now.