How not to design a wire protocol

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Wed Mar 6 18:19:32 UTC 2019

Hal Murray via devel writes:
> Eric said:
>>> I don't want the UI side of HTTP in ntpd.
>> I'd like to understand better what you mean by "the UI side" and
>> what your objection is.
>
> Web stuff is complicated.  We'll get into UI wars.
> You can't easily script things.

Huh?  HTTP is a transport layer, it doesn't prescribe a UI.  If the
(REST) API is designed competently, it's just as scriptable as anything
else out there, plus you've got more tools to eventually present it to
the user in a nice form than you can shake a stick at.

> If you want a web UI, we should build that on top of Mode 6 (or a similar
> replacement) or SNMP or ...

SNMP is as dead as a Dodo if you ask me…

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: